The most interesting thing is that you can achieve this result without having to consult a specialist, as you can put your hand in the crowd. In addition, the cost of the material is much lower compared to other methods.
However, to achieve the expected result, it is necessary to make a few attempts until scratching is the way you want it. You can apply on various types of surfaces such as drywall, prefabricated blocks or even masonry.
The look will always be rustic, but with a nice effect of the grooves. In this article you will learn how to make graffiti step by step, what types are available on the market, what are the advantages and disadvantages of using the material, including important information for Grafiato technology.
What is Grafiato?
The grafiato is a kind of texture that leaves the environment different and with an incredible presentation. The technique is widely used in the field of construction, mainly to decorate the surroundings of houses, apartments and commercial facilities.
Its appearance is slotted and can be displayed in different colors. Rooms such as the living room and the bedroom become more important with a wall in grafiato. But the technique can also be used in outdoor areas of the house.
The differences include durability, temperature resistance and humidity fluctuations. In addition, graffiti helps remove mold and the sunlight that leaves the room.
So if you want a wall with a different aesthetic and contemporary personality and technique, use Grafiato. However, care must be taken in the application.
What are the pros and cons of Grafiato?
Grafiato is currently a very common technique. Simple and cheap materials do not make it difficult. However, there are some advantages and disadvantages of using graphite in your home. Check-Out!
- It is a cheap technique;
- Makes the environment more elegant;
- You can paint in the color you want;
- The technique can be applied to both interior and exterior walls;
- Product with good durability;
- Easy to apply;
- No maintenance is required;
- Waterproof the wall;
- Prevents infiltration.
- Difficult to pull out of the wall;
- It can be applied first only with the white background;
- Difficulty to change the color.
What are the differences between grafiato and texture?
Some people may mistake graffiti for texture. However, the techniques are different, even the grafiato is a texture. That’s because not all textures are grafiato.
While the Grafiato creates grooves in the wall, the texture can appear every aspect. In general, the texture is used more as something decorative because it provides more visual contrast.
Both techniques, however, can be used to control moisture. If you have a wall in your house that shows enough infiltration, using grafiato or texture will help to make the wall more resistant.
What types of grafiato available in the market?
What differs from one grafiato to another is its weight or its mesh. The way to apply is the same, but who decides where to apply. See what types of grafiato are available in the market.
It’s the kind of grafiato that has a more rustic finish. In general, this type is most commonly used on facades and walls.
Mesh 10 is the most common type of graphite on the market. However, it is the model that sits on a middle level of the grooves.
If you want a finer finish, Mesh 12 is ideal. This type of graphite is widely used in bedrooms and living rooms.
Where can grafiato be applied?
The graffiti technique can be applied in different areas of the house. The most important is that it meets your needs. How to use grafiato in some rooms of your home.
In the room
In the living room you can do Grafiato on the wall behind the TV. Many, however, prefer the wall behind the sofa to highlight the surroundings.
To leave the exterior of the house with a more modern look, use and abuse the Grafiato. Do this on the facade or the balcony. However, the application of Grafiato on the outside of the residence requires a different treatment, which may cost more than the other rooms.
In the bedroom
In environments like the bedroom, it’s best to use graffiti with thinner and softer scratches to make the room feel more comfortable. In general, the wall chosen is that which is behind the head of the bed to accentuate the environment.
How do you do Grafiato?
To do the Grafiato, it is not necessary to hire a specialized specialist. All you have to do is learn how the application runs and what materials are needed for it. Follow how to do Grafiato.
- Masking tape;
- Plastics, newspapers or canvas for soil protection;
- Simple scratch tool;
- First acrylic;
- Paintbrush or paint roller;
- Fair for Grafiato;
- Impeller made of plastic.
How to do grafiato step by step
Learn to apply the mass of grafiato to the wall of your home. Just follow step by step so you do not make a mistake.
Prepare the environment
- Take a plastic, newspaper or canvas to protect furniture, frames and frames;
- Also protect plaster frames and baseboards with masking tape;
- On the side walls and on the floor, use newspaper or plastic to cover and protect against stains and dirt.
Prepare the wall
- See if there are traces of loose inks on the wall that are applied to the grafiato.
- If you have, use the spatula or sandpaper to scratch;
- Check for cracks and tears and correct;
- Clean all residues to avoid contamination.
- Take a bucket or a special tray for painting, pour water and dilute the first acrylic;
- Stir well until the mixture is homogeneous;
- Then take a brush or a roll of wool and start to wear;
- Then wait 4 to 6 hours for the wall to dry.
Apply the dough on Grafiato
- Make sure that the wall is already dry before proceeding to the next step.
- Take a bucket and pour water;
- Then dilute the graphitized mass in water;
- Always check the proportions;
- Make sure your wall does not need more than one carton of dough;
- Take the plastic trowel and put a layer of dough on it;
- Start the application;
- Do this evenly, but keep a fat one.
Use the Scratch-Easy
- After applying all the dough, use the Scratch-Easy tool and go over the dough;
- You have to go from top to bottom;
- Always keeping the same direction;
- The light scratch scrapes the scratches.
Complete the process
- When you pass Easy-Scratch, the wall becomes rough;
- At this point you should use the trowel to remove the excess;
- To do this, move the smoother in the vertical direction.
- This should be the same direction in which you used Easy-Scratch;
- Let the dough dry for 24-48 hours.
What are the best tips to do grafiato?
Some tips are important for anyone who wants to do the grafiato technique themselves. Take a look at the tips we have kept for you.
Use mortar and sand
For those who do not know, Grafiato can only be made with mortar and granite. However, if you want to lower costs, you can use sand in the composition. There are several mortar options on the market.
Learn to color the grafiato
You can vary the color of Grafiato. You can use the natural color mortar and then paint the wall paint of your choice. However, the paint must be wall-specific or you can apply a pigment and mix it into the dough.
You will save with the pigment because you do not have to do the grafiato first and then the painting. The process is very simple as it should only add the desired color in bulk.
Use the Grafiato to control the humidity
To solve problems of infiltration in the walls, it is ideal to find the root and eliminate it. Some people, however, adhere to the Grafiato to mitigate this type of problem, since the technique has a waterproofing system that makes the wall more resistant and beautiful.
Learn how to build the application
When using the Grafiato, it is recommended to make the entire wall at once, as the technique does not allow splicing. But if, at the time you paint, you realize that you will not be able to complete everything, use one to set the amendment.
However, you must be careful not to leave any traces. However, it is not guaranteed that the procedure is 100% correct. It may happen that the effect is not what you would like it to be.
Some people always try to vary the decor of their home, especially when they buy new furniture. Concerns are the cost of this change, as the value can be very high depending on the material used.
But by learning how to do grafiato, you will stick to an economic technique and apply it very easily. Follow the steps in this article and do it yourself on the wall of your home to make it even more beautiful.