It is a plant that is native to Europe, Asia, and North America, but there are some species that are native to the tropics, especially in high and cool regions. More than half of the species are found in China and Japan.
How to care for lilies: Discover tips for growing lilies in the garden
They are bulbous plants and only supply one bulb per bulb, from which flowers and leaves come out. They are small and medium in size and growing is relatively easy. You will find the bulbs ready for planting and we recommend that you plant them in the fall or early winter so that the flowers appear in the spring.
How to take care of lilies: know the three varieties
The three main types of lilies are:
These are the plants that present large flowers and a strong, incomparable fragrance.
The Asian lilies have smaller flowers, almost without perfume, but they have very varied and strong colors.
Longuiflorum lilies bloom only in cream and white colors and they also have large flowers, ideal for arrangements.
How to care for and plant lilies
Lilies need a lot of sunlight and a well-drained substrate. If you want to plant them directly on the ground, look at the area of your garden that usually dries faster after the rain. This will be the ideal place.
The planting site must receive sunlight for at least half a day. Lilies planted in the shade tend to become crooked when the plant drifts into the sunniest areas.
As mentioned earlier, you will get bulbs to plant and they should go ashore immediately after purchase to ensure good flowering. If you can’t do this right away, leave them in the fridge to prevent them from sprouting.
Make holes in the floor about 10 to 15 cm deep and with a distance of 15 cm between the two. Throw some bone meal in the bottom of the hole and the onions on top. Shower immediately to encourage onion growth.
The ideal soil is light and with a high fertilizer content. Prepare the soil by adding a good amount of coarse sand and organic fertilizer so that it is well drained and enriched with nutrients.
Lilies are plants that don’t need to be watered all the time. You should only water them when it is really necessary, as the onion will rot easily if the soil is constantly damp.
In drier times, water 2 to 3 times a week, and in humid times, once a week is enough.
Adding plant cover to the soil after planting prevents the onions from drying out or watering more than necessary. Plant cover is easy to find in specialized garden shops, is rich in organic substances and is usually sold in bags.
Cutting lilies is important, especially during flowering, to keep the plant strong and healthy for many years. Cut off the withered and dead flowers by keeping at least two thirds of the stem intact.
You can leave the cut pieces directly on the ground so that the plants absorb the nutrients.
If you plan to remove the flowers to use in the preparations and pots, cut only a third of the stem, along with the flower, of course, and let the stem stick to the bottom to ensure good flowering next year.
Lilies need good lighting, but should not be exposed to the sun during the hottest hours of the day. The substrate cannot dry completely or the plant is dehydrated, so it is good to plant it in places with half shade.
These plants withstand cold climates well, they usually fall asleep, lose part of their leaves, but hardly die. After hibernation, the plant wakes up and produces leaves and flowers again.
During this time, it is important to increase fertilization by favoring fertilizers that are used in potato growing.
How to care for lilies in vases
Caring for lilies planted in pots is very similar to caring for lilies planted directly on the floor. The vase should be in a well-lit place, but avoid the hours of strong sun and the substrate must have good drainage.
It is more difficult for your lily to bloom again when kept in a pot, but there is always a chance of success if you follow these steps:
- Water the lily for about 3 months after the flowers have withered and die;
- Stop pouring water and wait for the stems to dry completely.
- If you notice that the leaves and stems are dry, remove the pear from the bottom, put it in a die-cut plastic bag and leave it in the refrigerator in the cooler part, like the vegetable drawer;
- It must be kept in the refrigerator for about 4 months without the lamp colliding with other materials in order not to cause damage;
- After 4 months, take the onions out of the fridge and put them back in the pot. For the first 10 days, they should stay in a cool and airy place;
- After 10 days, move the pot to a well-lit place and water it on a dry floor;
- If all goes well, your lilies will grow back and give flowers within 2 to 3 months;
You must be wondering why the process of cooling the light bulb before replanting. This is necessary so that the plant can “understand” winter and can already prepare for a new life cycle.
The lilies come from areas with a very cold climate and leave them in the refrigerator to make them go deaf, process necessary for the flowers to appear beautiful again.
Oddities about the lily
- The lily is considered a symbol of purity and is one of the oldest plants in the world. There are records of lilies in ancient Greece, where they were dedicated to the goddess Hera;
- Since this flower is a symbol of purity, it is generally very connected to the Virgin Mary and is often used in bouquets by brides and religious ceremonies.
- In ancient times it was believed that lilies helped reconcile lovers. A piece of the lily bulb could reconcile friends who had broken relationships;
- Lilies are also considered magical plants with protective powers against negative energies. Many people planted lilies in their gardens to protect the house from damage.
- This plant has also been regarded as a medicinal plant capable of accelerating the healing of ulcers, wounds and burns;
- If you have pets like dogs and cats, be very careful when growing lilies at home. All parts of this plant are very toxic, their ingestion can lead to oral and mucous membrane irritation, eye irritation, difficulty swallowing and even breathing problems;
- When preparing an arrangement of lilies in pots of water, use scissors to remove the pistil from the flowers. This will prevent pollen grains from spreading in the air, thus reducing the risk of allergies and stains on clothing. The flowers will also last longer.
Lilies are well-known flowers in many parts of the world, maybe they are no more famous than roses, and now that you know how to grow them, you are ready to beautify your garden.