Remember to change the decor of your home? Have you ever thought about how to paint a wall to do it yourself? Whether you save money or leave the environment with the owner’s face, many people stick to this practice.
However, some caution is needed to get the best result, as a mistake can put an end to everything. For this we separate some tips and techniques so you know how to paint the wall of your home. Check-Out!
How to paint walls: Which materials do you need?
Before you start thinking about painting, you need to look for the materials needed for the whole job. It is not enough to choose only the color of your choice, it is essential to buy other products. Look at what these materials are:
- Wool roll 23cm;
- Fork for scooter;
- Protractor or cable for paint roller;
- Ink deposition compartment;
- Middle brush;
- Medium and fine pasta sandpaper;
- Newspaper or canvas to cover the floor;
- Steel scraper;
- Acrylic sealer
- Acrylic paint in the chosen color (Matt / Semi Gloss / Acetinado).
How to paint wall step by step?
If you want to paint the wall of your house yourself, you will need to learn some techniques so that the paint will not show a flaw or stain and that the paint is completely uniform. So follow this step by step to make the wall of your apartment more beautiful.
1. Disconnect the accessory
- Disconnect all accessories that you use during the painting process.
- Keep everyone near you.
- Do this so that you do not have to stop the service in the middle and damage the end result;
- In addition to the colors materials, buy gloves to protect your hands, tape to protect the corners and goggles.
2. Get ready to paint
- Wear color-specific clothing or old clothes;
- Put on a protective boot or old sneakers.
- Put on the glasses;
- Put on the glove before starting to handle chemicals.
3. Prepare the environment
- Remove furniture from the environment so they do not get dirty;
- Remove the frames, ornaments, mirrors and wall curtains to leave them free;
- Take cardboard, newspaper or plastic to cover the floor.
- To make it safer, fix it with tape or crepe;
- Use a thick masking tape to cover switches and connectors
- Door stoppers, plinths, wall joints, aluminum frames, moldings, rovings and baseboards should be protected with a wide masking tape that fills all corners.
4. Sand surface
- If the wall painted offers a solid surface and without much plaster, use a 220 or 240 sandpaper that is the finest;
- In coarser areas, use sandpaper 80 or 100 thicker;
- Sands the entire wall, which is painted;
- While sandpaper, make sure the surface is smooth;
- After sanding, use a floor cloth or broom to remove any remaining dust.
- If you remove the excess, vacuum a vacuum cleaner to remove dirt left on the floor and wall.
5. Prepare the ink
- Open the paint box and put it in the appropriate compartment.
- Use a blender to stir the paint;
- Add water to the paint;
- Follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Stir again.
6. Start to paint
The painting process requires some care and procedures that must be taken to achieve the expected result. Here’s how the painting should be made.
1. Apply the sealant
- Take the sealer and open the can.
- Stir the sealant well into the can so that the product is perfectly uniform;
- Then place some in the application tray;
- Use a 23 cm wide roll of wool to attach the product to the wall.
- Do this in ups and downs;
- Then repeat the process on all walls to be painted;
- Check the recommended dilution recommendation of the manufacturer on the can.
2. Apply running dough
- Apply the running mass with a trowel.
- Remember that the running mass can not be diluted;
- Using a spatula, pass the dough in the corners;
- Make sure holes are present and correct them.
- Then let the dough dry on the wall for two to three hours;
- Then use sandpaper to straighten the wall;
- The wall must be smooth;
- Then apply the sealer to the wall on the running dough;
- The goal is to reduce ink consumption.
3. Apply the first coat of paint
- Now with the wall ready, you can apply the color;
- First, read the paint manufacturer’s orientation to see if there is a particular procedure;
- Then open the paint can;
- Mix well and dilute as specified by the manufacturer;
- Then mix to leave the product even;
- Then put a generous amount in the application tray;
- Make sure the tray is clean and dry, as the paint can not be left with any residue;
- Then use the sheepskin roller to paint;
- Put the roller in the paint, but do not let the tool soak;
- Start by applying to the surface;
- Do this by performing gentle movements like a back and forth;
- Cover the entire surface;
- Then repeat the process so that the entire wall is painted evenly;
- Just paint a wall and see how the result was to paint the other walls;
- If you set the day for the painting, you will see if the weather is not too hot.
- Use a small brush to finish the color in the corners;
- Wait about four hours for the paint to dry.
4. Apply the second coat of paint
- Once the paint is dry, you should start applying the second coat.
- Before you look at a manufacturer’s recommendation about the paint can;
- Do the same process as the first shift;
- Paint the entire wall again;
- Do this by going back and forth;
- Cover the entire surface;
- Do not forget to finish the corners.
Complete the process
- Remove any masking tape you have used for protection;
- Do this before the paint dries;
- Make cleaning materials like scooters; Tray brush;
- Use only running water;
- Dry all tools before storing;
- If you notice that the wall is completely dry (about 3 to 4 hours later), clean the floor.
- Then place all the furniture and decorations in their place.
How to paint a wall: what mistakes must be avoided when painting the wall?
Just as there are techniques that help you to paint a wall correctly, some mistakes should be avoided to make the color uniform and the result surprising. See what mistakes you should avoid when painting the wall.
Missing amount of ink
Since you have no experience, it is only natural that you end up buying more color than you actually use or buy less than you should. So measure the surfaces to be painted and compare the amount of paint needed for each square meter. If you have difficulties, get help from a friend.
Make the painting on a rainy day
In the eagerness to change the decoration of the house, many people end on the day of the rain. But that’s a big mistake, because the paint needs a good climate to dry quickly. Therefore, it is ideal to paint on sunny days, so that the result is satisfactory.
Sink the brush
Many people, when applying the paint, put the entire brush in the paint can. In this way they waste the product. Since the brush is soaked, it is very likely that you apply too much paint to the wall and damage the result.
Do not expect to dry
In the rush to see the result of the painting, many people are not waiting for the right time to dry the paint. So be patient to wait the right time between one application and another to get the best result. If you want to speed up the process, keep windows and doors open.
Forget about painting the ceiling
It is not necessary to paint all the walls of the room and forget about the ceiling or simply paint it with the rest of the paint. In fact, the ceiling must be the first area that needs to be painted so that the paint does not splash on the wall when it’s done. This avoids fixing it again.
Error in color and ink
One of the most common mistakes in wall painting is the choice of color and finish. Therefore, before buying the products, check what is best recommended for each wall of your room.
Although the color is tailored to your personal taste, you must have consistency in the selection. Look closely at each shade of the palette, compare it to the furniture in the room and see which one fits best. If it’s your will, you can put on different colors to attach each wall.
If you learn how to paint walls, it will be easier to put your hand in the paint. Pay attention to the mistakes that must be avoided, choose the ideal color or colors and leave the environment with your face.