Wood was used extensively for handicrafts. From simple boxes of door things to wooden signs for decorating environments. It’s something that has become part of people more and more interesting day and day.
The cool thing is that besides being able to buy ready-made, you can do it yourself and paint the wood any way you want to give it that unique and personal touch.
Plus, if you have some old furniture at home that you want to transform into something new, you can bet on painting for that renovation.
Are you interested in painting wood? Check out our tips to help with this task:
How To Paint Wood: 6 Steps To Prepare Before You Begin
Before painting a piece of wood, you need to prepare the furniture or object to receive the new painting. It is mostly something old that you want to reform.
To prepare the wood you need to:
- Remove old paint . This step should only be considered if it is a used mobile device or a previously painted object.
- Put wooden dough into cracks or other imperfections . This step is important to prevent this flaw from showing up after painting.
- Sand the wood . Start with a thicker sandpaper and finish with a finer sandpaper. The idea is to smooth the surface and paint it.
- Wipe the wood with a damp cloth . It’s also interesting to pass a vacuum cleaner to remove any dust – or any other sandpaper – that’s been left there.
- Protect parts of wood that you don’t want to paint . You can use masking tape or masking tape to do this.
- Apply primer . It will help make the paint easier and also make the paint in the wood faster. The primer can be latex and you can apply with the help of a brush or spray.
Types of wood color
There are three types of paints used for wood painting: latex paint, acrylic paint, and nitrocellulose varnish paint. Each of them has a different function as you will see below:
1. Latex paint
Water-based, it’s very common for homemade paintings, especially when it comes to working with crafts. Can be applied with brushes or rollers. It is suitable for wooden objects that are protected from moisture and direct sunlight.
2. Acrylic paint
Similar to latex paint, except that wood is better secured and waterproof. It’s a good choice for wooden furniture that will be left outside the home or for very humid spaces like the bathroom or laundry room.
The paint can be made with a roller, brush and even a paint spray gun.
3. Nitrocellulose paint
Nitrocellulose is the basis of this paint, which adheres easily to the wood and dries quickly. It has more color options and can appear matte or light. It is not soluble in water and requires the use of protective equipment for painting.
It also requires that you have a suitable environment in which to do the paint and use the gun and compressor for the process to appear.
Post wood painting
After painting the wood, you need to make sure that the color goes well and that the end result is expected.
When you finish painting you can:
1. Apply sealant
The idea here is that the wood that is exposed to the sun or outside will last longer and not lose the sheen of the paint. However, you need to ask a seller if the sealant can be applied over the color you choose.
Latex paints, for example, usually don’t work with some sealants and they can end up spoiling your paint.
It is worth noting that most paints today are more resistant and already contain products in their composition that guarantee better fixation and duration. Then check whether it is really necessary to apply the sealant.
On average, three coats of sealant are required to ensure a good fixation of the product. In any case, follow the manufacturer’s recommendation.
2. Applying varnish
The varnish is also used in finishing the painting in wood, usually with the purpose of giving lightness to the object or the furniture.
Just like the sealant, it also acts as additional protection. Before applying, check that the chosen color goes well with varnish and that an application is really necessary.
If the goal is to add shine, you can use glossy colors instead of matte colors.
If you still want to apply the varnish even after using a glossy paint, two coats are enough to leave the wood beautiful and protected.
When you finish the painting, you can also sand the piece of wood again. This time bet on fine sandpaper and don’t press hard.
The idea is to remove small imperfections and prepare the wood for sealing.
7 Important Recommendations for Wood Painting
- Use soft brushes for wood painting. Dry brushes should only be used to cover strokes.
- Paint rollers can only be used if you are using latex or acrylic paints. They are suitable for larger woods to make the process faster.
- Wear a protective mask when handling paint. Even in those that are soluble in water. In this case it is possible to bet on simple masks.
- When using nitrocellulose lacquer, wear protective clothing, have a place to paint, wear protective goggles and cover with respirators made of carbon filters. A paint booth is also required.
- Wear a mask even if you’re scraping wood that’s already varnished. The old tincture may contain poisonous elements.
- In addition to the sandpaper, you can put on a rigid spatula to scrape off the old paint.
- If you want to apply a batter to wood, prefer a soft spatula.
Now you know how to paint wood! Have you seen how easy the process can be made at home using simple materials? Don’t forget to show us what the result was!