The running mass is an essential product for work and reform, and its function is to correct imperfections in the surface of walls and ceilings. It should be applied after plastering (cement, lime, and sand) and leaves the walls smooth and ready for painting. This article will teach you how to properly go through the dough run:
This product levels the interior surfaces by removing bubbles, interlocks, bumps and other imperfections. Also known as PVA, made from vinyl resin, it is a creamy material and ideal for concrete and masonry. It has excellent filling power, is easy to use and dries very quickly.
The running mass or PVA mass is not moisture resistant, so it should only be used in indoor spaces that do not absorb excess water such as rooms, rooms and dry rooms. And the most suitable surfaces for its application in addition to plaster and concrete are fiber cement, plaster, walls already painted with acrylic paint or PVA latex.
If you are looking to level or renovate walls outdoors or in bathrooms and kitchens, then you should use acrylic mass.
The application of mass races is simple and practical. So if you are satisfied with manual activities, you can do it yourself without hiring a professional. Do you want to know how Then follow our article.
How to Submit Race Mass: Materials Required
The materials needed for the application of mass runs on the walls can be found in any hardware store:
- Steel spatula;
- Steel fork;
- Specific running mass for the environment (internal or external);
- Safety materials: gloves, hat, safety glasses, safety glasses and closed clothing.
How to run the dough: step by step
1. Prepare the wall
- Clean the walls well, they should be free from dirt, mold, dust, stains, grease, loose parts, old paintings;
- If necessary, clean the walls with water and a neutral detergent and, if there are mold stains, apply a mixture of water and chlorine;
- Expect to dry well, do not rush to apply the dough or the result will not be what you want;
- Sand the walls with thick sandpaper (# 180) and wipe off the dust again by wiping it with a broom or soft cloth, as the debris will prevent the mass from adhering to the wall.
2. Apply the sealant
- Apply the sealing emulsion with a paint roller;
- It is only necessary to apply the sealant if the wall is already painted or if there is direct contact with moisture;
- Wait for the drying time to vary from 1 to 4 hours.
3. Prepare the dough
- Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines, but in general the masses available in the market are ready for use;
- If it is very hard, dilute the dough with water in a ratio of 5 to 10% of the volume, beat very well so that it is homogeneous and use it in up to 24 hours at the most.
4. Apply the batter
- Always start the application from the corner of the wall towards the center and preferably from the bottom up;
- Using the spatula, remove a sufficient amount of fat from the packaging and place it on the trowel that will be used to fix the product to the wall.
- The spatula feeds the dough to the larger side of the ladle, while always stroking the dough on the wall with one eye so that it is thin and even;
- Apply thin coats and in small spaces so that in about 2 minutes you can use the trowel to remove excess mass;
- For a better result, apply two layers of batter, the first will correct the main mistakes and the second will finish the wall very smoothly;
- Let it dry for at least 24 hours between coats and after applying the second coat your wall will be ready to be painted in around 3 hours.
- Sand the walls again, this time with fine sandpaper, to get the most even result possible.
- Your wall is ready to receive the painting and renovate the area.
How to pass the dough to the ceiling
The process of applying the running mass to the ceiling is the same as that of the wall, including cleaning and surface preparation. The difference is that it will be more tiring as this area does not greatly benefit the lives of those doing the ministry.
When applying the dough to the ceiling, you need to protect your eyes and head well so that dust, dirt, or grease does not fall on your face.
You will also need ladders and scaffolding to stay in a good position and avoid wasting materials.
Tips for the perfect finish
- Use a thick sandpaper and broom to make the surface smooth and clean before applying the sealer and running batter;
- Pass at least two layers of the dough and remove excess product with a squeegee;
- At the end of the application, thread some fine sandpaper on the wall after waiting for the drying time.
- Always pay attention to the drying time so that the dough adheres well to the wall;
- Use a lightbulb to find small defects that may appear after grinding and make any necessary corrections.
Why apply dough?
- With the moving mass, the interior finish and the effect of the walls is much nicer;
- In the rooms, the clean walls bring harmony to the residents;
- The dough on the walls seals the structure and protects it for longer.
- If there are cuts on the walls, the finish with the batter will be much better;
- The runny batter also helps save color.
Make textures with flowing dough
You can also refresh the ambience of your home by applying a texture to one wall of the room, leaving the place lovely and sophisticated. And don’t think this technique is difficult to apply, just choose the style that suits you best and use a foam roller for texture in addition to the materials we listed in the article.
Follow the same guidelines in terms of cleaning and preparing the wall that will get the texture, apply the running dough and, using the foam roller for texture, make the effect on the wall by putting it directly on the still wet mass ,
Repeat the process to complete the entire wall and finish the finish with gel or acrylic paint if necessary.
A runny batter wall has a much nicer visual appearance and a perfect finish, which makes all the difference to the daily life of the house. Try to buy good quality products to avoid cracks and imperfections over time.
Now that you know how to apply batter and what to do yourself without the help of a professional, put your hand in the batter and renew your surroundings.